How to Grow Your Function and Event Sales – the Easy Way!
Here are some simple things you can do to grow your function and events revenue. This blog will help venue owners, event managers and function sales professionals.
1. IMPROVE YOUR EMAIL SIGNATURES ON YOUR OUTGOING EMAIL
- Tell everyone about the different functions you offer & events you have coming up
- Make sure you are advertising your website, social media connections and upcoming events on ALL your devices – Computers, Tablets and SmartPhones
2. PUT MORE FUNCTION SIGNS OUT FRONT
- Get a Banner or a sign on the wall out front
- Examples: Book now for Xmas or Function Room Available
3. MAKE IT VISUAL – PUT UP A CALENDAR ON THE WALL
- Print out the Monthly Calendar and put it up on the Office Wall to see what we dates to sell in the next 6-12 months
- What you FOCUS on expands
4. INSTALL TOILET DOOR SIGN HOLDERS FOR FUNCTIONS & EVENTS NOTICES.
- You have patrons’ complete attention when they sit on the toilet
- SO put up a framed sign that shows your function space
- Add another sign that tells them about upcoming events
- Try placing 2-4 x A4 Aluminium Frame Sign Holders on each door
5. GET BETTER FUNCTION PHOTOS OF ALL TYPES OF EVENTS
- Your Prospects eyes do the buying
- Show them what they are going to get with great photos of the room, decorations and event themes, food &drinks and people enjoying themselves
- That’s what prospective clients like to SEE
6. IMPROVE YOUR FUNCTIONS BROCHURE, MENUS & PRICING
- Update the quality of your brochure and menus
- Review your pricing and packaging to make it more attractive for every type of function
7. GET MORE WEBSITE DIRECTORY LISTINGS (FREE & LOW COST)
- There are over 50 places to list your venue online for FREE
- Use different descriptions and different pictures to attract different prospects
8. LEAVE A TRAIL OF MARKETING COLLATERAL NEARBY – YOUR BIZ CARDS & FUNCTION FLYERS
- Make sure your functions flyers and card can be found all over the local area
- Try providing DL sized flyers in your own acrylic stands (make it convenient for other businesses to show your promotional materials and offer to cross-promote)
- Examples include: non-competing venues such as cafes, beauty salons and fashion stores
9. SET UP A DISPLAY TABLE TO SELL MORE EVENT SEATS & FUNCTIONS
- Get one of the team to merchandise the foyer
- Example: create a great themed event display table or a photography wall
10. DESIGN & USE A PHONE ENQUIRY SHEET WITH EFFECTIVE QUESTIONS TO ASK
- Put a stack of phone function enquiry sheets near the phone
- Include a list of questions to ask clients to enable your team to ask better closing questions
11. UPDATE YOUR LINKEDIN PROFILE
- Use LinkedIn to connect to local businesses and people you know
- Search for useful contacts in your region
- Optimise your profile for venue hiring, special functions, conferences and events
- Post articles monthly
- Hit LIKE on other posts relating to functions, venues and event
12. RUN A BIZ CARD PRIZE DRAW TO COLLECT MORE LOCAL BUSINESS CARDS
- Connect with them on LinkedIn
- Get permission to include them in your database for monthly newsletters (like Mailchimp, Active Campaign, HubSpot)
13. ASK FOR TESTIMONIALS FROM PAST CLIENTS & USE THEM EVERYWHERE
- Find past clients that love your work
- Ask them for a written testimonial OR
- Create a video testimonial, use your phone to film them talking
- Suggest they write an online review
14. GET MORE ONLINE REVIEWS ABOUT YOUR FUNCTIONS
- Ask all your guests, patrons and function buyers to WRITE REVIEWS about your events, services and venues using online review sites
- Examples: Google, Facebook, Truelocal or any event venue directory
15. GO OUT & BUILD MORE ALLIANCES WITH ATTRACTIONS & ACCOMMODATIONS NEARBY
- Go around and visit local businesses that you can co-operate with
- Introduce yourself and take cards, flyers and gifts!
- Invite them round for coffee or an event
16. GO TO EVENT INDUSTRY NETWORKING EVENTS
- Attend industry events to make friends and get more referrals
- MEA, AIME, PCO or even local Business Networking Groups
17. BUILD A VIP EVENTS PATRON DATABASE OR CREATE A BIRTHDAY CLUB
- Use a host to collect the details of people who attend your events
- Use squawkbox or impact data or Txtconnect to send SMS or Email or FB Blasts to invite guests to upcoming public events
18. BUILD YOUR ONLINE TRIBE – Facebook, Instagram or LinkedIn
- Post interesting pictures and information
- Use sponsored posts for your events
- Interact with your tribe by liking or commenting on their posts
- Make your tribe feel LOVED
19. WORK YOUR LOCAL SPONSORSHIPS
- Sports and Community Clubs that you sponsor should have off-peak events with you
- Ask them how you can help
20. ALWAYS THANK EVERY FUNCTION CLIENT AFTER THE EVENT
- Phone EVERY Function client after the event. Thank them and get feedback!
- Make a follow up call and ask WHO else? and WHAT else can we do?
- Send them a thank you card. Send them a customer survey to find out how we can improve.
BONUS TIP – Use Simple Incentives to other members of your venue team involved in finding more function leads & enquiries!
What gets Rewarded gets REPEATED!
Thank you for reading these tips for increasing sales for your venue, functions, conferences, catering and events.
Want personalised sales and customer service training for your venue and event staff? Contact David Staughton on 0408375100.