Many years ago, my mum went on a negotiation techniques training course and acquired just one new habit – asking for a discount every time in every place! Since then she has saved thousands of dollars by just asking the simple question; “Is that your best price?” and waiting in uncomfortable silence.
In these turbulent times every dollar is important and every dollar you SAVE is one dollar of extra profit. Dealmaking is the highest paying activity you can do. You can learn to save thousands of dollars in minutes with better negotiation techniques.
Practice Negotiation Techniques
Practice asking for a better deal – type up and practice using the following phrases – put them on the wall in front of anyone buying anything:
- “Tell me your BEST price”
- “Is that really your BEST price?”
- “You’ll have to do better than that!” + (use uncomfortable SILENCE)
- “What would I have to do to get a better price?”
- “That sounds a little high”
- “If you include X & Y you have a deal”
- “Can I have better terms?” or “I want better terms!”(settlement discount, credit days)
- “Would that be less expensive if…?”
- “Could I get a lower price if….?”
- “What specials are available?”
- “What’s the “off-peak” price?”
You’ll find that EVERYTHING IS NEGOTIABLE – not just price. Make sure you ask about getting other things included like better terms, conditions, more/less time, bonus inclusions, exclusivity, service, training provided, marketinghelp and subsidy(co-promotion), sales target rebates and any other assistance that’s available.