SIX DIFFERENT ROLES in a great Venue Function & Events Team
- Would you like to make more Event & Function Sales?
- Need to work out the Roles in your event team and who does what?
- How you got the Right type of Person in the Right Role in your Events Team?
Many venues struggle with having one or two overly BUSY event & function sales people that need to co-ordinate, run and deliver the events. Sometimes this is all in just ONE Role.
Clearly, when they get busy DOING the events, the SELLING & enquiry follow-up tends to suffer, enquiry conversions drop and sales opportunities are missed.
This is VERY Costly.
The most effective solution is to separate the function delivery roles and hire MORE dedicated function sales people.
Typically if you hire a good function sales person (just does sales) you could expect to add 15 to 20 times their salary in additional event income.
If you hire a good combined sales & event co-ordinator you could expect to add 8 to 10 times their salary in additional event income
SIX different roles can be defined in the Function & Event Venue sales & marketing team.
If you only have just one or two people doing ALL these roles then you will need to have to have very good time management and support.
The Sales Role (#2) is critical to getting great revenue results.
1.Function Co-ordinator or Event Co-ordinator Role
- Salary $$
- This person performs the client liaison and event organising
- Liaises with the booked client to organise function details and ensure a smoothly run event
- Ideally is great at relationship building, delivering a great experience and getting referrals
- Ideal Type of person – Detailed, organised, calm, a problem solver
2.Function Sales Co-ordinator or Event Sales Co-ordinator Role
- Salary $$$
- This person sells the corporate or personal functions & events
- Excels at handling inbound sales enquiries – converting prospect to clients
- Skills – People Skills, Influence, uses sales aids, dealmaking and negotiation
- Handles enquiries on Phone, text, email and walk ins tours
- Needs effort on detail, focus, follow up and date holes and diary audit
- Needs to be good on following up and converting enquiries into events
- Ideal Type of person – Influencer, persuasive, energetic, bubbly & friendly
3.Functions Manager or Event Supervisor
- Salary $$$
- This person runs the event and supervises the event team
- Good at Prioritising with a sense of urgency and results focussed
- A focussed Effort on customer excellence
- Knowledgeable, Positive Growth Mindset and Attention to Detail
- Ideal Type of Person – A Leadership role with skills in team building, coaching, Customer service recovery, decision making and handling crisis
4. Venue Business Development Manager (BDM)
- Salary $$$
- This person is responsible for outbound sales efforts – reaching out to prospects
- Prospecting networking following up & hunting & winning new clients
- Does Events, shows, connections, referrals, business intelligence
- Works the Database and prospect list
- Needs effort on process, qualifying and follow up systems
- Can build relationships with existing clients to get more business
- Can generate referrals and repeat business
- Represent the venue at networking events
- Organise venue hosted sponsorship events
- Ideal Type of person – Competitive, determined, innovative, hungry, connected
5. Venue Admin & financial person
- Salary $
- This person runs the admin and financial side of the Events Department
- This back office role can include Rostering, pay , budgeting, forecasting and invoicing
- Purchasing and Procurement
- Needs Effort on debtor management and auditing and people skills
- Ideal Type of Person – Detailed accurate precise planned organised
6. Venue Marketing Co-ordinator Role
- Salary $$
- This marketing role requires skills in Webmarketing & Social media
- Coordinate Advertising, Local Marketing, Website, Database & Social media
- Ideally good at Analytics and Planning ahead
- Ideally has skills using Web tools, Graphics and Copywriting
- Able to create Marketing Campaigns to maximise yield in quiet times
- Ideal Type of Person – Creative, Visual & Process / Organised
As you can see there are many different roles and different types of people who are ideal for each role.
- DOWNLOAD the free HOSPITALITY E-BOOKS available on this website
- Read these BEST BLOGS Recommended for Venues and Hospitality
ABOUT David Staughton CSP, Kevin Kosky & BIG HAT
Big Hat Professional Services provides Hospitality Workshops, Webinars and Training on Sales, Service & Strategy using Certified Speakers and Trainers like David & Kevin.
David Staughton CSP is an award-winning International keynote speaker, and experienced Small Business consultant. With over 15 years ‘hands on’ experience in the Hospitality industry, he speaks and consults on a wide range of hospitality & tourism business improvement in the areas of sales, staffing, service and strategy.
Kevin Kosky is a skilled business communications trainer. He is a specialist on inbound phone skills, presentation skills and delivering sales presentations. Kevin is an expert teacher of face to face communication skills like sales, supervision and presentation skills.
BIG HAT offers ….
- Hospitality Training Workshops & Public Training Workshops
- Sales Training & Customer Service Training Programs (In House)
- Conference Speaking & Breakouts
- Mentoring & Masterminds
- Business Growth Consulting & Advisory
NEXT STEPS WITH DAVE
- Would you like to discuss Sales Training or Business Growth possibilities ?
- Would you like to discuss plans for an upcoming Workshop or Conference?
- Maybe an Online Consultation to discuss a challenging Business issue or review your website?
SUGGESTED ACTIONS TO TAKE
- Book a “1 on 1” Session with Dave for an Online Meeting about your Business or upcoming Conference
If you would just like a chat or have any suggestions for this website please call David on 0408375100 or contact us
www.davidstaughton.com.au © David Staughton 2020 – All rights reserved