Using Your Restaurant Specials Board to Sell Better
Customers love a deal and they love something SPECIAL. Whether you sell food, drinks or accommodation you can use a specials board to focus their attention. In some venues, restaurants and bistros – selections from the specials board make up to 50% of the total sales.
You can make more profit and increase your GP% by encouraging your visitors and guests to buy from a selection of highly profitable special items.
There are many reasons why your customers choose from the specials board including:
- It’s Easy – A limited selection instead of the main menu
- It’s Different – for regulars – some people seek variety and something new
- A Special Effort has been made – Perceived effort from the chef
- It’s Fresher – Perceived freshness of product
- It’s great Value – It’s a deal or it’s cheaper
Reasons some businesses use the specials board
- Clearance and Disposal – Clean out the fridge or any slow moving stock
- Boost Margins – Got a great deal when buying some distressed stock or product
- Trial a new Dish – to check if a new item will be popular
You can make more money from your Specials board by promoting highly profitable and highly popular items (NOT just things to get rid of)
- Use good specials SIGNAGE – well written – chalkboard or texta
- Improve its DISPLAY – lights or featured, readable, at eye height and easily seen
- Give it extra FOCUS – promoted by the Waiter or on table tents
Offer specials that are very good, popular and different to the basic menu offering.
Some high margin suggestions include – Soups, Salads, Pastas, Breads, Chicken, Offal, Desserts. or High end steaks and wines.
Great graphics and Photos on the specials board REALLY Sell!
Make it special and make extra special profits!
ABOUT THE BLOG AUTHOR – David Staughton CSP
Big Hat Professional Services can help you grow your hospitality business and improve your Function Event & Wedding Sales. David & Kevin can help you!
David Staughton CSP is an award-winning International keynote speaker, and experienced Small Business consultant. With over 15 years ‘hands on’ experience in the Hospitality industry, he speaks and consults on a wide range of hospitality business improvement in the areas of sales, staffing, service and strategy.
Kevin Kosky is a skilled business communications trainer. He is a specialist on inbound phone skills, presentation skills and delivering sales presentations. Kevin is an expert teacher of face to face communication skills like sales, supervision, and presentation skills.
If you would like to receive more Great IDEAS, NEWS & BLOGS for growing your hospitality business or the events industry please sign up to our e-newsletter.
You can also download some of the free HOSPITALITY E-BOOKS available on this website
This BLOG is a work in progress – If you have any suggestions please call Hospitality Expert David Staughton on 0408375100 or contact us
If you would like to improve your Venue Results or learn how to sell stacks more Functions & Events all year round come to a HOSPITALITY TRAINING WORKSHOP
www.bighat.com.au © David Staughton 2020 – All rights reserved