How to Reduce Risks at Your Venue – Set & Know Your RULES for Your Events & Functions
Many new venue owners don’t have much experience and as a result do NOT have any guidelines or rules about booking and running the events & functions.
Many evente are organised by friendly agreement and a handshake with the clients. Then when something goes wrong it is HARD making up the RULES as we need them. Here are some rules to prevent bad things happening.
Times have changed! – Whenever you sell a Function, Event or Wedding at your Venue you are actually contracting for delivery of good & services and there are legal ramifications.
Each party to the agreement or contract is liable for certain things and there can be serious consequences for breaching the contract or failing to deliver.
There was once a wedding photographer who forgot entirely about a wedding and was sued for non-attendance. He had to pay damages.
Another example was a big ASX company that cancelled their 7 day residential conference just two weeks before the event, They were fully liable and were charged the full conference cost as a cancellation fee. Over $100k.
So you, your staff, clients and guests need to abide the MANY regulations and laws that apply including:
- Liquor Licensing and Responsible Service of Alcohol
- Food Safety
- Workplace Health and Safety
- Building & Fire Safety Laws
- And thousands of others Laws that apply
In order to deliver the highest quality customer experience, it’s a wise idea to decide the RULES for your event venue & communicate them to any potential clients before the event.
Here is a great list of just some useful Terms & Conditions that you can implement to run your function events and minimise risk.
CHECKLIST of Terms & Conditions for a Venue
- BOOKINGS, DEPOSITS AND PAYMENTS – Room Hire, Paid in advance, Bar Tab End of night
- FUNCTION HOURS – Time Limits & Closing Times
- MINIMUM SPEND / MINIMUM GUESTS
- FINAL NUMBERS & ORDERING FOOD – 72 hrs before?
- LIQUOR LICENCE RULES & RSA – Last drinks
- CANCELLATIONS OR POSTPONEMENTS – Deposits, Further Deposits and Refunds
- ROOM CAPACITY – Overcrowding
- LINEN & DECORATIONS – Balloons and streamers OK
- SECURITY – Who provides and pays for Security guards?
- PARENTAL SUPERVISION – AGE I.D. required – Kids with parents / must leave by…
- BEVERAGE PURCHASES – Bar tab, Individual or included
- BYO POLICY & FOOD – Rules about Bringing own food or drinks – charging Cakage?
- DECORATIONS DAMAGE – Surface Damage, Confetti, Glitter, Scatter – Do you have a Cleaning charge
- ENTERTAINMENT – Bump in, Meals, Arrangements, Noise Limits
- AV SYSTEM – Built in, usage, microphones
- PRICE & MENU VARIATIONS – may happen without notice
- FUNCTION CONDUCT – Responsibility & Liability – Property Damage & Behaviour – refuse entry, compliance
- BUCKS & HENS PARTIES RULES or NOT ALLOWED
- “FAMILY FRIENDLY” RULE – No Nudity, Violence or Profanity e.g. Strippers?
- SMOKING AREAS & RULES
- CAR PARKING, TAXIS and PUBLIC TRANSPORT
- UNFORESEEN CIRCUMSTANCES / ACTS OF GOD – Limited liability for fire, flood, virus outbreak etc
NOTE – One of the biggest issues Clients have with venues is usually around deposits and the cancellation or postponement of the event. Please make sure that your agreement is absolutely clear about all the conditions around the deposits.
Disclaimer – This is NOT a full list of all the Terms & Conditions that you can have in your Event agreement but it’s a good start. Please consult your Industry Association for a standard Agreement or your own Lawyer for a customised one.
ABOUT Kevin Kosky & BIG HAT – Wedding & Venue Sales Training
Big Hat Professional Services provides Hospitality Workshops, Webinars and Training on Sales, Service & Strategy using Certified Speakers and Trainers like David & Kevin.
Kevin Kosky is a skilled business communications trainer. He is a specialist on inbound phone skills, presentation skills and delivering sales presentations. Kevin is an expert teacher of face to face communication skills like sales, supervision and presentation skills.
BIG HAT offers ….
- Hospitality Training Workshops & Public Training Workshops
- Sales Training & Customer Service Training Programs (In House)
- Conference Speaking & Breakouts
- Mentoring & Masterminds
- Business Growth Consulting & Advisory
NEXT STEPS WITH KEVIN
- Would you like to discuss Sales Training or Business Growth possibilities ?
- Would you like to discuss plans for an upcoming Workshop or Conference?
- Maybe an Online Consultation to discuss a challenging Business issue or review your website?
SUGGESTED ACTIONS TO TAKE
- Book a “1 on 1” Session for an Online Meeting about your Business or upcoming Conference
Book Evolve3 Function Sales Workshops here
If you would just like a chat or have any suggestions for this website please contact us
www.bighat.com.au (c) 2022